Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Berber Jewelery





Everywhere you go there is Berber jewelry. Most is reproduction pieces in silver.
There are a ton of pendants, and ones with what is described as a compass to be able to find your way out of the desert is especially popular, but not my favorite.

There is a huge amount in Essaouria because a lot of the men from the desert come to live for a few months to sell, or have stores/families there. Most of the time they will tell you they have something special and bring you in pull out a treasure chest and start unwrapping silver necklaces, rings and pendants out of pieces of cloth. It is a ritual and you sit through it and enjoy your tea and the pictures they show you of home.. oh and do you want to go to the Desert? Becuase they can plan that trip for you..so out come the pictures of all the people who have gone on their little trips.... The same thing happened to me 5 times in one day there. Harmless and in a town like that you just go with it...otherwise they will remember and believe me in a town that small.... it could not be to your benefit!



There are numerous antique shops in the souks in Marrakech. They are beautiful stores with all authentic lanterns, furniture, tapestries, kaftans, and jewelry.
I fell in love with these large black and white photos that were in various hotels and restaurants with women covered in silver coins and turquoise and coral and beads. I looked for some photos to bring home...but the ones I wanted I couldn't find, Truth is no one understood what it was I really was looking for. One day a sweet man took me to another man to ask about antique photographs... He said there was someone by the museum..I never found him.
I started falling for the coin headpieces which are silver and adorned with some beading and color. I looked and looked and found a few original pieces, but they were way out of my price range, we are talking thousands of dollars...even after the 'family price'.
The best book I have found so far to showcase how gorgeous these pieces and the women are in them is here. It is in French but that is not an issue, you can view the entire book online and it is well worth your time!

No comments:

Post a Comment