Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Blue Skies: Essaouria

I Left Essaouria on Monday. Sept 21st. Ramadan ended that day and the celebrations began. That morning it was very quiet. The only people in the streets were tourists. Everyone was having break-fast with their families. It was also a turning point in my trip.
I met people in Essaouria, I felt good there, comfortable, safe and it was a trip within a trip.
What was supposed to be a weekend trip would turn into a lot more.
I took the 330 bus back to Marrakesh and was planning on returning in less than 48 hours.
the bus ride is 2 1/2 hours with a 20 min stop at a 'bus stop' cafe.
When we got to the stop.. everyone smokes a cigarette, uses the bathroom, gets a coffee.
We all pile back on the bus ready to go and nothing happens... for 30 minutes until some nice man finally told us all that the bus was not going anywhere and we had to wait to for a bus to come get us. It would be 2 hours.
So what was supposed to be an easy quick trip turned into my first REAL understanding of what would be known as 'Moroccan Time'.

No comments:

Post a Comment